Hurt and Can’t Work: What to Do for Money If You’re Injured at Work

More than 88,000 people each week, suffer from a work injury in the United States. 

Some of these injuries are accidents, while others happen over time, such as arthritis. 

Unfortunately, many of these people are unable to continue working and need to find other methods of income until they recover. 

Continue reading to discover how you can still get money, even after getting injured at work.

Talk to Your Supervisor 

The very first thing that you should do if you are injured at work is to speak with your supervisor.

To get financial help, you must report your injury in writing. If you are unable to write, have a team member help fill out the document. This will be used to prove the time of your injury and how it happened. 

Don’t waste time talking to them and filling out your report. After a certain time, they will be unable to help due to the statute of limitations. 

See the Doctor

Before any money is going to come your way, you will have to have a doctor examine your injury.

Some companies have private doctors that you can get medical attention from, while others let you choose your physician. Typically, if you have a work injury, they will refer you to a certain office or doctor. 

The doctor will be able to submit medical reports that discuss the injury. This is used to determine how much assistance you will require. Since a workers comp doctor will have a better idea of how serious the injury is, they can decide how long you must stay off before returning to work. 

As long as there aren’t any disputes with the doctor’s report, you will be able to receive compensation. 

File a Workers Compensation Claim

After your injury has been examined and cared for, you can begin filing your workers’ compensation claim.

This process works much like an insurance claim. Your employer should give you this form after you have reported your injury to them. You will also have documentation from the doctor’s office. 

If you do not fill out the workers’ compensation claim, you will be unable to receive any money. 

Luckily, some states will allow you to file these claims online, otherwise, you can simply call. You must keep a copy of your claim for personal records and submit the other claim to your employer. They will then fill out their portion and send it to the insurance company. 

Get a Lawyer

If you have done all of the steps above and your employer is not helping you receive compensation, you may want to get a lawyer.

A lawyer can help you get what you are entitled to. With their help, you don’t have to be as worried and can focus on more important things. Depending on the specifics of the case, a lawyer can help you get medical assistance and money for your troubles. 

Were You Injured at Work? 

Although there are many guidelines put in place at work, accidents still happen and people get hurt.

If you were recently injured at work and need financial assistance, you can find help. By filing your injury report, you can then make a workers’ compensation claim that will entitle you to a certain amount of money.

Don’t forget to do all of this promptly, otherwise, you won’t be able to make a claim. 

Be sure to check out our blog for more articles about financial assistance, and more!

Leave a Reply