Letting Out a Property? Here Are the 6 Most Common Causes of Fire to Consider

When you’re letting out a property, you’ll have numerous concerns when it comes to protecting your asset.

From vandalism to house fires, there are so many aspects to consider and ensure you’re protected from.

As well as getting comprehensive insurance from the likes of HomeLet in case the worst does happen, it is worth familiarising yourself with the most common causes of fires so you can try and take preventative measures to avoid them:

  1. Smoking

Smoking indoors presents a huge risk when it comes to fires. Just one cigarette that isn’t stubbed out properly has the opportunity to start a raging fire – as does a match that’s thrown into the trash before it’s blown out sufficiently.

  1. Plugs and Extension Cables

Another massive cause of fires is overloading plugs and sockets to the point that they short circuit and spark. Make sure there are ample mains sockets around the property to avoid the over-use of extension cables and always replace any frayed wires going to appliances as these too could spark and set light to curtains and other materials.

  1. Candles

As lovely as candles may be when they’re flickering in the dark, they’re also a source of a naked flame and are, therefore, incredibly dangerous. They should never be left unattended when you’re not in the room, and especially when you’re not in the property at all. And they should be kept out of reach of pets and children at all times.

Having these requirements in place for your tenants (or perhaps permitting the use of candles altogether) is a good idea.

  1. Wiring

Before you move tenants into the property, it’s a good idea to have your wiring checked to ensure it can bear the load it’s required to. Signs it may not be up to the job include regularly blown fuses and dimmed lights when appliances are turned on.

  1. Flammable Liquids

If there are any cleaning agents, paints, gasoline and other flammable liquids around the property, it’s crucial they’re stored correctly and are kept away from any sources of heat. Even their vapors can ignite or explode so be sure to store them safely – outside if possible and in approved containers.

  1. Washing Machines

You may be surprised to know that fires in washing machines and dryers happen more frequently than you may realize. They are generally caused by the clothing or lint in dryers or the wire insulation or drive belt in washing machines. Therefore, it’s crucial these appliances are checked on a regular basis to make sure they’re still in good condition and that these parts aren’t worn.

Nobody, landlord or not, wants to be the victim of household fires. However, accidents and human error are inevitable, which is why it’s important to protect yourself and your property with the right insurance while also taking some extra steps to try and minimize the risk of one of these fires from occurring.

Leave a Reply